[Dovecot] imap memory footprint rather large

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Aug 14 00:24:01 EEST 2007

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net> [2007.08.13.2259 +0200]:
> Memory use seems to be O(n) in the size of the folder. On the folder
> with 70k messages, dovecot seems to allocate 280m of memory, which

I just saw in the logs:

  mmap() failed with index cache file
  /home/madduck/.maildir/.store/dovecot.index.cache: Cannot allocate
  memory

and looking at the file, it's in fact 280m in size.

Does dovecot need to read/mmap the entire file? Is there a way to
vacuum/reduce/optimise the cache?

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

this message represents the official view of the voices in my head.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net