[Dovecot] Multiple certificates

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Mon Oct 30 08:42:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Phill Edwards wrote:

> I have dovecot version 1.0 relese 0.beta8.2.fc5 installed on my FC5
> linux box. It acts as an IMAP server to my home LAN. I connect to it
> from the home PCs over SSL and have installed a certificate in the
> domain imap.edwards.home to enable this.

Hmm, UW-Imap does support only one certificate, too, hence, I'm puzzled
why it did worked before.

> Login failure: Certificate failure for XXX.homelinux.com: self signed
> certificate: /C=AU/ST=NSW/L=Sydney/O=Edwards/OU=IMAP
> server/CN=imap.edwards.home/emailAddress=philledwards at gmail.com

Which side gives you this error? Dovecot or xs2mail.com?
IMHO: The error looks like the "self signed" part is the problem. You
probably need to store the public certificate on xs2mail.com, in order the
server can validate it.
Do you use the _same_ certificate with Dovecot as with UW-Imap? This
should give you the same situation as before.

> <snip>
> 1.0-tests support "virtual servers", where this is possible:
>
> server foo {
> listen = 1.2.3.4
> ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/foo.cer
> }
>
> server bar {
> listen = 1.2.3.5
> ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/bar.cer
> }
> </snip>
>
> Can anyone help me figure this out?

Give your server two IP addresses, then bind a Dovecot with certificate
foo.cer on one address, and a Dovecot with bar.cer on the other one.

Because SSL is implemented as tunnel and no symbolical ip name information
is passed in IMAP, you can have only one certificate per IP address at
maximum. However, most OSes allow you to bind several IP addresses to one
physical NIC.

Bye,

- --
Steffen Kaiser