[Dovecot] Subscription file

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Oct 19 20:40:48 UTC 2006

We performed, at a couple of different sites, a migration from UW-IMAP
(slow) to dovecot 1.0rcX (blazingly fast) and did a similar step.  What
we did was audit the main mail server system to determine where all of
the .mailboxlist files were, and we created a copy of each of those
.mailboxlist files as .subscriptions.  In other words, in a given user's
home directory, they had a .mailboxlist file and a .subscriptions file
just prior to the migration.  Immediately after the migration was
complete, we removed all of the .mailbox list files from the system
(actually, we backed them up first, then removed them).

The migration was seamless to the end user community.

The key element here, though, is that the .mailboxlist and
.subscriptions files reside at the top level of the user's home
directory ($HOME) regardless of how they have their IMAP root directory
configured.  The format we've seen of the .subscriptions and
.mailboxlist files is:
mail/Sent
mail/Marketing/Bill

The .subscriptions contents are relative to the user's home directory,
and the IMAP root directory configured on the client defines the
'filter', so to speak.  You may want to take a good look at the contents
of your .mailboxlist files to make sure everything will go as planned.
If necessary, you can always run them through a perl script to massage
them just the right way, but I doubt you would need to.  The migration
is, after all is said and done, somewhat painless.

-Rich