[Dovecot] Subfolders with Thunderbird and maildir?

Anders Lund anders.lund at uninett.no
Thu Nov 23 10:00:39 UTC 2006

Andrew Z wrote:
> I setup a test dovecot-1.0-0.beta8.2.fc5 and left most of the settings
> as the defaults.  In Thunderbird 1.5.0.8 Windows, when I tried to create
> a subfolder named "subfolder" under INBOX, it showed up as the same
> level a INBOX and with the name "INBOX^subfolder".
>
> I was able to manually create a subfolder using "mkdir
> ~/mail/test_manual_subfolder; touch ~/mail_test_subfolder/blah" and then
> subscribing to it.  That's too much work.  :)
>
> Now when I try to create a subfolder of a non-inbox folder, nothing
> happens (not even an error).
>
> Screen shot:
> http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=subfoldersthunderbird15ao6.png
>
> The Dovecot system is Fedora Core 5 x86 and an NFS client for /home.
> I'm considering switching from Trustix, UW-IMAP, and mbox.  I'm also
> considering changing INBOX to a Maildir (not /var/spool/mail/%u).

Just a quick question:

In
 Account settings
 Server Settings
for your account, have you unchecked "Server supports folders that
contain sub-folders and messages"?

If you are using Maildir this should be on, but if you're using mbox
this should be off.

- Anders

--
 Anders Lund <Anders.Lund at uninett.no>             .~.
 UNINETT, N-7465 Trondheim, Norway               / V \