[Dovecot] subscription to mail folders not working properly anymore with dovecot1.0x ?

Dumitru Negara dumitru at itcnetworks.ro
Fri Jun 30 18:32:18 EEST 2006

Timothy White wrote:
> On 6/30/06, Alain Hofer <hofer at glue.ch> wrote:
>

>> With dovecot_1.0 the subscriptions get properly read, but as soon as
>> the user wants to make any changes to them (for example subscribing
>> to a new folder out of thunderbird), the subscriptions get lost, the
>> file <usershome>/Mail/.subscriptions simply disappears.
>>
>> Did I miss any point in the configuration? Or does someone else
>> encounter
>> the same problem?
>
> I'm fairly sure that .subscriptions isn't used anymore after the 0.9
> series. The file is just subscriptions, without a dot (as dot files
> are treated as folders IIRC). Not sure if you need to remove the old
> file, or if you can just move .subscriptions to subscriptions.
>
> Try searching the list archives, I'm sure it's come up before
>
> Tim

Quotation from http://wiki.dovecot.org/UpgradingDovecot
Subscriptions
Maildir only: The filename that stores user subscriptions has changed
from .subscriptions to subscriptions. (It is still called .subscriptions
for mbox.)
Just rename it: mv .subscriptions subscriptions

So, in Alain's case something could be wrong as he is using mbox format
and in this case subscription file should be ".subscriptions". I do not
use Solaris nor mbox format so I cannot help too much here.

Regards,
Dumitru