[Dovecot] Improving interaction/performance with Mail.app?

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Fri Jun 30 15:11:47 EEST 2006

On 30 juin 06, at 09:48, Simon Waters wrote:

> On Friday 30 Jun 2006 08:26, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>>
>> I'm using dovecot as my IMAP server just for me, and I access it from
>> three machines, all using Apple Mail.app. Unfortunately the
>> performance is really bad, especially when deleting or copying a lot
>> of messages. I know this is the fault of Mail.app, whose IMAP support
>> leaves a lot to desire, but I was wondering if there could be some
>> dovecot configuration tricks that make the interaction smoother.
>
> Without any information on how the system is configured my crystal
> ball
> suggests maybe you are using mbox format rather than maildir on
> folders with
> lots of messages.
>
> If crystal ball is broken, please supply more info to allow me to
> get it
> fixed.

Thanks for the offer to help ;-)

I'm using dovecot 1.0rc1 using maildir format (mail gets in the
machine by fetchmail -> postfix -> procmail). Mail.app is the one
that comes with 10.4.7, which I just upgraded. I always access mail
locally, either because I'm using the machine where the server is, or
because I have a ssh tunnel to this machine.

I don't really know what kind of other information is relevant, so
don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again,

Alan

--
Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
.O.
..O
OOO