[Dovecot] tool for convertin mbox to maildir

Todd Piket todd at mtu.edu
Thu Jun 29 23:31:20 EEST 2006

I used mb2md 3.20 when I migrated all of MTU (~20,000 users) to maildir.
  I did tweak it a bit 'cuz I wanted it to go fast so I wrote a forking
"wrapper" program around it.  I also added the ability to detect and
build the .customflags file and the dovecot-uidlist file for each folder
so the users wouldn't even notice we switched to a different mail server
(except for the down time :).  For the most part, that is exactly what
happened.  The .customflags and uidlist file creation are optional and
build files with a syntax appropriate for Dovecot 0.99.xx.

If you only need to move a few users I'd use mb2md w/o modification.  If
you need to move a LOT and fast, I'd recommend my tweaked code with the
forking "wrapper".  You can specify how many processes you would like it
fork off.  Should be pretty self explanatory.  You can find it here:

http://svn.dcs.it.mtu.edu/email.mtu.edu/convert_tools/tags/mb2md-release-4.0/

Regards,

| Todd Piket                        | Email: todd at mtu.edu    |
| Sr. Programmer/Analyst            | Phone: (906) 487-1720  |
| Distributed Computing Services    |                        |
| Michigan Technological University |                        |