[Dovecot] some basic questions

Sysadmin sysadmin at e-positive.ee
Wed Jun 28 19:47:02 EEST 2006

Tere.

> I've read through the wiki docs but still have questions, ones likely
> too obvious for most readers....
>
> There will be <100 users, the platform will Debian, and I need IMAP/PO
> over SSL/TSL and locally-hosted Squirrelmail [unless someone has a
> better webmail client...]. Other boxes here run postfix, so that is a
> first choice.
Dovecot will do fine all this.

> Clients will be Eudora, maybe TBird/Apple mail; no M$ Outlook.
No problems with them, just use client workaround -s in conf file.

> A) I need multi-domain support, with <joe at xyz.com> and <joy at qbc.net>
> being separate users.
This is MTA, not dovecot question.
> B) I have a problem with storage-abusers & really want the
> carrot-stick quota system my favorite ISP, Panix, has. You get N bytes
> {or messages, I can live with either/both} and when you get near, you
> get nagged until you solve it.
>
> When you exceed quota, you get no more incoming mail, just nagging.
> It's shunted aside until you make room. After D days, if it's still
> there, the shunted mail is returned.
>
> Regular reports as to who's naughty and nice would be great.
Don't know about reporting, but I think this is again MTA question.

> C) Password changes. How can I have user-changable pw's, with
> crack/sanity checking of the new ones? Do I have to have accessible
> shell accounts on the box for each user? [argh]
This is general, not dovecot question.

> D) Spam: assume I can run spam-assassin and have it move suspected
> mail into a Junque mailbox; true?
This is MTA, not dovecot question.

> E) Non-guru creation/deletion of accounts: It appears from "Virtual
> Users" that this is possible via a text file, but I'm not sure...

I think, that also this is general, not dovecot question.

--
Sysadmin