[Dovecot] Just one user experiencing server timeouts

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Tue Jun 27 01:24:51 EEST 2006

[dovecot-1.0-0.beta2.7 on Fedora Core 5, maildir formatted mail
directories, various clients: thunderbird 1.5.0.4 from FC4 and WinXP,
SquirrelMail 1.4.6-5.fc5 RPM, various recent versions of Pine from
various Fedoras and Redhat 9]

I have just one mail user who experiences server timeouts when trying to
delete a message (move it to Trash) or other common operations.  This
user has 4.1GB of mail spread over 200+ Maildir-formatted folders, so I
immediately expected sheer volume as the problem - this user has by far
the most mail.  This user experiences the problem from multiple
Thunderbird installs, from SquirrelMail, and from Pine.

However, I created a new user account using our standard account
creation processes, and did a direct copy of olduser's Maildir to
newuser's homedir.  Then I did a chown -R newuser ~newuser/Maildir, set
up an account in Thunderbird for newuser's account, and tried for an
hour to get a server timeout doing all the same operations that cause
the timeout on olduser's account, with no timeouts.  I absolutely cannot
duplicate the behavior, but when I watch olduser do this from any of the
above named clients, I see the timeouts on about 10% of the operations.

I've been looking into this off and on for weeks, but I am baffled.  I
can't think of what is so specific about this one user's account that is
causing the trip up.  Both home directories are stored on the same
filesystem and as I mentioned I made an exact duplicate of Maildir.  I'm
completely out of ideas, does anyone have any thoughts?  Does Dovecot do
any data tracking on a per user basis that could be confusing it, some
cache I can clear?  Dovecot has been restarted numerous times since the
trouble started.

--
Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst