[Dovecot] Help! Uidlist files are gone and won't come back; imap keeps coredumping!

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jun 24 22:51:43 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 10:59 -0700, Mario Nigrovic-rvvk40 wrote:
> Here's another NFS weirdness detail:
>
> I've got just a ton of .nfs files all over my .mail subdirectory.  I think these are the byproduct of our NFS server's keeping snapshot files around, but I'm not sure.  Typical content is like:

Those are created when a file is deleted from the filesystem but it's
still opened by the process itself. It should be deleted automatically
when the process dies. All of this is done by the kernel.

> Also, I've now seen two messages like the following.  Are these usual?
>
> dovecot: Jun 19 09:13:27 Error: IMAP(rvvk40): Maildir /home/mario/.mail/Maildir/.Freescale.ATIC.CMOS65 sync: UIDVALIDITY changed (1150719396 -> 1150728477)

These mean that dovecot-uidlist file was temporarily lost and then
created by another Dovecot process, while the first process still had
the mailbox open.

Since you're using Solaris 8 it seems a bit weird that it would behave
this badly with NFS, since Solaris was the one OS where it was supposed
to work properly.. But the Dovecot's broken behavior is anyway because
of your NFS's broken behavior. I don't think you can get it working
properly. If it was working correctly before, did you change something
like update the kernel?