[Dovecot] Re: 1.0 RC1 status

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jun 24 21:30:13 EEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 11:33 -0700, Mark Nienberg wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > If you think there's still something I should have replied to, please
> > re-send it because I've either missed it or just skipped it for some
> > reason. (Except there are still a couple of mails from this week I've
> > yet to reply to.)
>
> beta 9 still has a permissions problem when a user creates a new folder in a public
> namespace.  The file dovecot-shared is used to assign permissions and ownership for
> new files, but not for new directories.
>
> In the example below, the public directory .myTest was created by user mark.  Other
> users cannot read it.  All users are in the group Everyone.  These are real system
> users.
>
> [root at tesla Maildir]# ls -la /home/public/Maildir/
> total 103k
> drwxrws--- 11 dovecot Everyone 4.1k Jun 20 11:17 ./
> drwxrwxrwx  3 root    root     4.1k Jun  7 09:15 ../
> drwxrws---  2 dovecot Everyone  13k May 24 14:43 cur/
> -rw-rw----  1 dovecot Everyone    0 May 12 13:46 dovecot-shared
> drwx--S---  5 mark    Everyone 4.1k Jun 20 11:17 .myTest/
> drwxrws---  2 dovecot Everyone 4.1k May 24 14:44 new/
> drwxrws---  2 dovecot Everyone 4.1k May 19 17:48 tmp/

Each created folder is supposed to have their own dovecot-shared file.
Having the dovecot-shared in here makes it used only for INBOX, nothing
else.

Also if you create new folders the dovecot-shared file isn't copied or
anything else. So you always have to create it manually for each shared
folder..

I don't think I'm going to change this behavior before writing proper
shared folder support, sometimes after v1.0.