[Dovecot] Dovecot randomly stops responding

Miguel Saturnino miguel.saturnino at teiadigital.pt
Sun Jun 18 13:49:12 EEST 2006

Hi Timo!

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 00:31 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > I'm running Dovecot 1.0beta7 on FreeBSD 6.0 (i386) and it randomly stops
> > responding. To mitigate the problem I made a little ruby scripts which
> > logs in to the POP3 server every 3 minutes and, in case of error (the
> > errors are usually timeout or end of file errors), restarts Dovecot.
> > Although this keeps this keeps things working, I'd like to figure out
> > what is causing Dovecot to stop responding. Looking at the logs, nothing
> > stands out except that there is always one or more of these messages
> > just before Dovecot stops responding:
> >
> > Apr 20 19:25:00 zeus dovecot[62881]: pop3-login: Disconnected:
> > Inactivity: rip=209.123.xxx.xxx, lip=64.21.xxx.xxx
>
> Have you figured out anything yet?

I never experienced this problem again (and it was quite frequent). As I
posted here http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-April/012953.html
the problem occurred as a result of my control panel (DirectAdmin)
starting Dovecot while it was already running (I'm not quite sure of
what happened when the control panel issued the command to start
Dovecot, but that was when Dovecot stopped responding). Since I disabled
the control panel's monitoring feature, Dovecot has been working
flawlessly.

> Do you mean that after it stops responding, nothing else comes to log
> files anymore?

No, there was no sign of any error.

> And when connecting to Dovecot it doesn't give any
> replies?

There were no replies, the connection would just timeout.

> Do you use only POP3 or also IMAP?

This happened with POP3, don't know if it happened also with IMAP.

> What passdb and userdb are you using?

passwd-file

>  Have you straced dovecot-auth (and
> pop3-login and dovecot maybe) while it's broken?

No, I didn't try that.

Thanks!

Regards,

--
Miguel Saturnino

Teia Digital (R)     Alojamento de Sites e Soluções Internet
   Web Site:         http://www.teiadigital.pt
   E-mail:           info at teiadigital.pt