[Dovecot] 1.0 RC1 status

Dumitru Negara dumitru at itcnetworks.ro
Sun Jun 18 13:48:30 EEST 2006

Hi,

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Today I finally caught up with my mail. I've now read all the mails from
> the Dovecot list from this year and all my private mails from last few
> years (totaling around 500 unread mails).
>
> If you think there's still something I should have replied to, please
> re-send it because I've either missed it or just skipped it for some
> reason. (Except there are still a couple of mails from this week I've
> yet to reply to.)
>
> Besides reading mails I've also fixed a lot of bugs today. What's left
> from my original 1.0 roadmap is:
>
>  - Solaris sendfile is broken? Is it? Can someone try? You can test it
>    with maildir by setting mail_save_crlf=yes, saving a somewhat large
>    mail and FETCHing it (and truss that it really uses sendfile)
>  - LDA: empty mail gives an error.
>  - quota code should probably be always doing some quota_set_critical()
>    instead of using mail_storage_set_critical(), so that quota_last_error()
>    would work properly
>  - rfc2557 support for BODYSTRUCTURE, as specified by RFC3501
>  - keywords: add some limits to how many there can be
>     - don't return \* in PERMANENTFLAGS when we're full
>  - mbox: how well does dirty sync + status work? it reads the last mail every
>    time? not very good..
>  - mbox: dirty state should be stored to index (with mbox_very_dirty_syncs)
>
> I think 1.0 could be released without any of those changes.
>
> But what about the connection hangs that some people have had? Do they
> still occur? Is it only with SSL? I guess I should look at my previous
> ssl-proxy rewrite, figure out what went wrong with it and try again.
>
> I'm thinking about releasing 1.0 RC1 within a few days. Would be nice if
> that release actually worked, so testing would be appreciated :) You can
> try it by getting the dovecot-latest from http://dovecot.org/nightly/
>
> The current changes include:
>
> 	* PAM: If user's password is expired, give "Password expired" error
> 	  message to the user. Now actually working thanks to Vaidas Pilkauskas
> 	* Relicensed dovecot-auth, lib-sql and lib-ntlm to MIT license. See
> 	  COPYING file for more information.
> 	* Abuse prevention: When creating a mailbox, limit the number of
> 	  hierarchies (up to 20) and the length of the mailbox name within
> 	  a hierarchy (up to 200 characters).
> 	* mbox: If saved mail doesn't end with LF, add it ourself so that the
> 	  mails always have one empty line before the next From-line.
>
> 	+ Added --with-statedir configure option which defaults to
> 	  $localstatedir/lib/dovecot. ssl-parameters.dat is permanently
> 	  stored in that directory and is copied to login_dirs from there.
> 	+ IMAP: Support SASL-IR extension (SASL initial response)
> 	+ Support initial SASL response with LOGIN mechanism. Patch by Anders
> 	  Karlsson
> 	+ Added PLAIN-MD4 password scheme. Patch by Andrey Panin.
> 	+ Added support for XFS disk quotas. Patch by Pawel Jarosz

I compiled dovecot-20060618.tar.gz on Debian Sarge in order to test XFS
disk quotas.

My config:
protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
ssl_disable = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_extra_groups = mail
mail_debug = yes
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
  mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
}
protocol pop3 {
  pop3_uidl_format = %v.%u
}
auth_debug = yes
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb shadow {
  }
  userdb passwd {
  }
  user = root
}
plugin {
  quota = fs
}

# lsmod|grep quota
quota_v2               10240  0

# mount|grep sda9
/dev/sda9 on /home type xfs (rw,usrquota)

# cat /etc/mtab |grep sda9
/dev/sda9 /home xfs rw,usrquota 0 0

# quota -v dumitru
Disk quotas for user dumitru (uid 1048):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota
limit   grace
      /dev/sda9  557452  5242880 5451776           16427       0       0

There is no errors in logs regarding quota, but the problem is that
server reports wrong quota info.

Request:
A004 getquota ""
Response:
* QUOTA "" (STORAGE 2286043136 20971520)
Getquota completed.

> 	+ If another process deletes the opened mailbox, try to handle it
> 	  without writing errors to log file. Handles the most common cases.
> 	+ Added TLS support for LDAP if the library supports it.
> 	- Dovecot corrupted mbox files which had CR+LF linefeeds in headers
> 	- MySQL code could have crashed while escaping strings
> 	- MD4 code with NTLM authentication was broken with 64bit systems.
> 	  Patch by Andrey Panin
> 	- Plugin loading was broken in some OSes (eg. FreeBSD)
> 	- Several fixes to handling empty values in configuration file
> 	- Several fixes to dictionary quota backend and dict server.
> 	  Also changed how they're configured.
> 	- deliver: Fixed plugin handling settings
> 	- mbox_min_index_size handling was somewhat broken
> 	- passdb passwd-file: extra_args field wasn't read unless the file
> 	  was also used as userdb.

Regards,
Dumitru