[Dovecot] 1.0 RC1 status

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 18 02:30:02 EEST 2006

Today I finally caught up with my mail. I've now read all the mails from
the Dovecot list from this year and all my private mails from last few
years (totaling around 500 unread mails).

If you think there's still something I should have replied to, please
re-send it because I've either missed it or just skipped it for some
reason. (Except there are still a couple of mails from this week I've
yet to reply to.)

Besides reading mails I've also fixed a lot of bugs today. What's left
from my original 1.0 roadmap is:

 - Solaris sendfile is broken? Is it? Can someone try? You can test it
   with maildir by setting mail_save_crlf=yes, saving a somewhat large
   mail and FETCHing it (and truss that it really uses sendfile)
 - LDA: empty mail gives an error.
 - quota code should probably be always doing some quota_set_critical()
   instead of using mail_storage_set_critical(), so that quota_last_error()
   would work properly
 - rfc2557 support for BODYSTRUCTURE, as specified by RFC3501
 - keywords: add some limits to how many there can be
    - don't return \* in PERMANENTFLAGS when we're full
 - mbox: how well does dirty sync + status work? it reads the last mail every
   time? not very good..
 - mbox: dirty state should be stored to index (with mbox_very_dirty_syncs)

I think 1.0 could be released without any of those changes.

But what about the connection hangs that some people have had? Do they
still occur? Is it only with SSL? I guess I should look at my previous
ssl-proxy rewrite, figure out what went wrong with it and try again.

I'm thinking about releasing 1.0 RC1 within a few days. Would be nice if
that release actually worked, so testing would be appreciated :) You can
try it by getting the dovecot-latest from http://dovecot.org/nightly/

The current changes include:

	* PAM: If user's password is expired, give "Password expired" error
	  message to the user. Now actually working thanks to Vaidas Pilkauskas
	* Relicensed dovecot-auth, lib-sql and lib-ntlm to MIT license. See
	  COPYING file for more information.
	* Abuse prevention: When creating a mailbox, limit the number of
	  hierarchies (up to 20) and the length of the mailbox name within
	  a hierarchy (up to 200 characters).
	* mbox: If saved mail doesn't end with LF, add it ourself so that the
	  mails always have one empty line before the next From-line.

	+ Added --with-statedir configure option which defaults to
	  $localstatedir/lib/dovecot. ssl-parameters.dat is permanently
	  stored in that directory and is copied to login_dirs from there.
	+ IMAP: Support SASL-IR extension (SASL initial response)
	+ Support initial SASL response with LOGIN mechanism. Patch by Anders
	  Karlsson
	+ Added PLAIN-MD4 password scheme. Patch by Andrey Panin.
	+ Added support for XFS disk quotas. Patch by Pawel Jarosz
	+ If another process deletes the opened mailbox, try to handle it
	  without writing errors to log file. Handles the most common cases.
	+ Added TLS support for LDAP if the library supports it.
	- Dovecot corrupted mbox files which had CR+LF linefeeds in headers
	- MySQL code could have crashed while escaping strings
	- MD4 code with NTLM authentication was broken with 64bit systems.
	  Patch by Andrey Panin
	- Plugin loading was broken in some OSes (eg. FreeBSD)
	- Several fixes to handling empty values in configuration file
	- Several fixes to dictionary quota backend and dict server.
	  Also changed how they're configured.
	- deliver: Fixed plugin handling settings
	- mbox_min_index_size handling was somewhat broken
	- passdb passwd-file: extra_args field wasn't read unless the file
	  was also used as userdb.