[Dovecot] nfs, dovecot, and maildirs

bofh list bofh.list at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:25:40 EEST 2006

Hello - I know I am not the only one that will be trying, or has tried this
before.  Here are my questions!

NFS Clients, multiple servers running dovecot - linux with 2.6 kernel with
relevant patches (utime, etc)
Backend - netapp filer
End users - various clients all running IMAP

It looks like 1.0.beta8 is definately the way to go.  I have a few questions
with regards to setup.

Is it now possible to reliably store index files over nfs?

If not, the alternative is keeping index files in memory, or on local disk -
on each server.  How big of a performance hit is this if imap connections
are round-robined between imap servers?

I've seen various people using different actimeo settings, some set at 0,
some slightly higher - as much as 30.  Can anyone speak on experience they
have had with netapps on this subject?

The following sound like they are required:

mmap_disable=yes
lock_method=dotlock

Has anyone been successful with fnctl() on netapps with dovecot?

Thanks in advance!