[Dovecot] 1.0 roadmap

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Tue Jun 13 09:13:14 EEST 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean with this. Delivering the mails to a
> temporary mailbox and copying them from there to the real mailbox at
> least use much more disk I/O than what is saved by having the index
> files always being up-to-date.

I think such mode is on your TODO list a long time (I remember you've
posted a list where it was called "slurp" /var/mail/<<uid>> into INBOX).
The actual reason for me to like this feature of UW-Imap is that you can
have the INBOX (well the temporary one) without quota, whereas the
mailboxes in general are limited by quota.

We have a fairly stable amount of people, who never check their mailboxes
or forget to delete mails or whatever, but who are to be placed into
mailing lists - otherwise they could mourn "we never get this valuable
information!". Those over-quota replies are really cumbersome.

Another downside of this slurp mode is that all processing the LDA
performs must be performed in the same way by Dovecot (or its plugin),
e.g. Sieve filtering :-)

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser