[Dovecot] 1.0 roadmap - fs quota problem

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Tue Jun 13 03:04:31 EEST 2006

Quoting Stian Jordet <liste+dovecot at jordet.net>:

> man, 12,.06.2006 kl. 14.53 -0700, skrev Chris H.:
>> Wow. We never should have switched from UW-IMAP to Dovecot. Having a
>> 750,000 user base. We made the switch to Dovecot in an effort to trim a
>> little overhead on our systems. But our OS (FreeBSD 5.4 - UFS) version
>> is rapidly reaching EOL. All future versions will default to UFS2.
>> Dovecot seems to handle UFS correctly. But if we had known that we
>> were required to write our own code to stay onboard with Dovecot, we
>> would have *never* made the switch. It appears that Dovecot is not
>> an appropriate choice for Production systems. But rather; better suited
>> for hobbyists. I sure wish we had known this from the start.
>
> While I "need" xfs quotas badly, and in some way is in the same boat as
> you, I must say Timo really, really, really is free to do what ever he
> wants with his spare time. If you had paid big dollars for dovecot, I
> could have understood your frustration, but now you're just being silly.
>
> -Stian
I couldn't agree with you more. It *is* up to Tim as to what he
will/ won't do. I never made *any* objection to that. The *only* point
I was making here, is that I wish that I had known that it would
ultimately be *my* responsibility to insure that Dovecot remains
reliable/ useable on my chosen OS (FreeBSD). Given it's wide usage
(FreeBSD) and years of experience with UW-IMAP I felt relatively
confident that Dovecot would follow suit in an effort to remain
competitive with UW-IMAP. In summary; as I clearly stated above;
I wish I had known in advance that it would be ultimately be my
responsibility to insure that Dovecot remained usable on our OS.

'nuff said.

--
Shameless self-promotion follows...
... or does it?

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p12 (SMP - 900x2) Tue Mar 7 19:37:23 PST 2006