[Dovecot] 1.0 roadmap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 12 16:45:18 EEST 2006

> > > Just in case it got lost, I'll repeat the request for a mode where
> > > mail delivery normally happens in mbox format but users can
> > > optionally have maildir storage and dovecot would transparently
> > > move system deliveries into the maildir INBOX.  Pop users
> > > who download/delete probably wouldn't bother, imap users
> > > with large mailboxes probably would.
> >
> > So, a mode in which dovecot looks at /var/mail/user and moves the mails
> > into maildir whenever user logs in?
>
> Not just when they log in - it should be monitored for
> new deliveries.

Yea, that's what I meant actually :)

> >  I think that belongs to the same
> > category of features as "move /var/mail/user into ~/mbox" and possibly
> > even the same as "fetch mails using POP3 from another server for the
> > INBOX automatically". All of these are very low on my TODO list.
>
> From dovecot's perspective it should serve most of the same purposes
> as an LDA in terms of not having deliveries screw up your

I'm not sure what you mean with this. Delivering the mails to a
temporary mailbox and copying them from there to the real mailbox at
least use much more disk I/O than what is saved by having the index
files always being up-to-date.

> and you must already have functions to do all the
> low-level gunk.  What's the down side?

That the actual code needs to be added and the configuration needs to be
somewhere. Perhaps this should be a plugin. Then it doesn't mess up the
code and settings.