[Dovecot] missing empty line in mbox folders with Outlook 2000 client

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 11 17:16:31 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 10:25 -0700, Gary Funck wrote:
> I recently looked into a problem that has been plaguing me since the
> switch to dovecot a couple of years back, documented here:
> http://mailman.rwth-aachen.de/pipermail/procmail/2006-May/024363.html
>
> The gist is that when I tell Outlook 2000 to write all outgoing mail
> into a Sent-mail folder on the IMAP server (using mbox format), I
> find that the mbox's don't have empty lines separating the messages,
> (though the Content-Length field is correct.  This leads to interoperability
> problems with programs and scripts that expect each mbox message to be
> separated by an empty line.
>
> (We're running dovecot-1.0-0.beta2.7 under Fedora Core 5 on an x86_64
> platform.)
>
> Has this mbox behavior been reported before?  Is it considered a bug or
> a feature?  Is there a configuration option, or Outlook tweak, that can
> be enabled to ensure that the mbox's produced by writing messages to
> them via Outlook, are well-formed (have an empty line separating messages)?

It's in my TODO:

    - always add empty line. make the parser require it too? syncing should
      make sure there always exists two LFs at end of file. raw-mbox-stream
      should make sure the last message ends with LF even if it doesn't exist
      in the file

But it's not in any high priority for me, so unlikely to get fixed
anytime soon..