[Dovecot] Re: Problem with dovecot-lda

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 9 18:02:17 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 15:29 +0200, Jef Driesen wrote:
>> I have installed the dovecot 1.0 beta3 (package included with Ubuntu
>> Dapper Drake) and everything is working very well. Next I wanted to try
>> the dovecot lda (for sieve filtering).
>>
>> In postfix I have "mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver" and I
>> followed the instructions from http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA. I only
>> changed "postmaster_address = postmaster at localdomain.local" and "user =
>> dovecot" from the example configuration.
>>
>> With this configuration, no mail is delivered (discarded?) and in the
>> logfile there is this error:
>>
>> Jun  5 18:10:08 localhost postfix/local[9630]: BFA6D5A403:
>> to=<jef at localdomain.local>, relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (local
>> configuration error. Command output: Fatal:
>> open(/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf) failed: Permission denied )
>>
>> Changing permissions on /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf to 644 fixes the
>> problem, but I think this is not the best solution. Any ideas?
>
> Well, the deliver needs to be able to read the config file, so either
> mode 644 or change its group to what deliver is running as (postfix?
> mail?). The config file shouldn't contain any secrets so I don't think
> being world-readable is a problem anyway.
>
> Once we reach Dovecot 2.0 some day the deliver will connect to config
> process via UNIX socket which tells it the configuration. :)

I think (but I'm not sure) deliver is run from postfix as the user to
which the mailbox belongs.

Maybe it's worth adding this permission information to the wiki? I guess
I'm not the only one who has/had this problem.

And about secrets in the config file. Isn't there a password in the
config file when something like ldap or sql database is used. I never
used that, so I could be completely wrong.