[Dovecot] a bug in the LDAP code

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Thu Jun 8 21:44:33 EEST 2006

Hi,

I was heaving some grave problems with dovecot's ldap client that left
me with the following settings for virtual users:

-------CUT-------
mbox:
data=/virtual/oeush.at/home/f.someone/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/f.someone.oeush.at
-------CUT-------

data in that case was correct, yet the INBOX location was wrong, this
should have been /virtual/oeush.at/var/mail/f.someone.oeush.at instead.

My settings for the retrieval of the mail environment
in /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf were like this:

-------CUT-------
user_attrs =
homeDirectory=home,uidNumber=uid,gidNumber=gid,MailMessageStore=mail
-------CUT-------

now at first glance this seems correct, but the problem was the upper
cased "MailMessageStore" attribute name. changing it to
"mailMessageStore" gave me the correct settings:

-------CUT-------
mbox:
data=/virtual/oeush.at/home/f.someone/mail/:INBOX=/virtual/oeush.at/var/mail/f.someone.oeush.at

I don't have any of the LDAP RFCs ready, but I think that per default
the case of the attribute _names_ should not matter when querying an
ldap server.

Udo Rader

udo rader              technischer leiter/CTO   mobile  ++43 660 5263642
eduard-bodem-gasse 8/3    A-6020 innsbruck      fax      ++43 512 935833
http://www.bestsolution.at                      phone    ++43 512 935834