[Dovecot] Procmail and dovecot interactions

grant beattie grant at grunta.com
Tue Jun 6 06:22:07 EEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 01:11:46PM +1000, Jeff Turner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using procmail to deliver to Maildir directories:
>
> DEFAULT=${HOME}/Maildir/
>
> I notice dovecot keeps a 'dovecot-uidlist' plus cache and index files, in
> each maildir. How is it that dovecot keeps these up to date when the
> contents of cur/ keeps changing?

cur/ only changes when the client selects the folder, because the
contents of new/ is moved to cur/. since it's Dovecot doing this, it
knows what has been updated.

I use procmail, too, and both it and Dovecot work as expected.

> Is dovecot scanning cur/ every so often checking for changes? Isn't this
> slow for large folders (100k+)?
>
> I note on the Dovecot LDA page[1], that it keeps the "Dovecot index base
> up to date". Does this mean Dovecot isn't expected to work properly with
> a delivery agent which doesn't know about its indexes?

no, it works regardless of whether the indexes are up-to-date or not.
if they are not, Dovecot updates them. and I'd guess that the majority
of Dovecot users don't use dovecot-lda.

grant.