[Dovecot] Platform change, considerations?

Peter Lindgren peter at norrskenkonsult.com
Thu Jun 1 23:15:44 EEST 2006

Hello!

I am switching hardware platform for my dovecot 1.0beta3 installation.
 From Sun Sparc (SS4) to Intel i386.
OS platform will only change from OpenBSD 3.7 to 3.9.
 From Dovecot 1.0beta3 to beta8.

Is there anything special to consider, in terms of endianness or other
incompatibilities?

I plan on a fresh install (compile) on the new machine, migrate the
settings manually (by hand), test the new server and then migrate old
mail. Can I just mount the disks and copy, or should I go through NFS to
be safe from potential endianness problems? Or perhaps copy with IMAP
using my Thunderbird client?

The live switch (the old server is in production) isn't that delicate,
several hours downtime is OK. There's a backup server that can receive
any mail I might loose during downtime, which can be copied though IMAP
later.

Thanks for any input!
/Peter
--
Peter Lindgren, dataingenjör
E-post: peter "at" norrskenkonsult punkt com