[Dovecot] Duplicate Attachments....

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 16:47:46 EEST 2006

On 6/1/06, Tore André Klock <klock at beacon.com> wrote:
> A better solution might be for the LDA to detect which messages are being
> delivered locally to more than one user.  I could then make the message file
> shared (in the case of Maildir anyway), for example by hard-linking the files.
> The message would then exist on disk in one copy until each client have removed
> it (bringing the link count to 0).

This is almost exactly what I've been looking for/designing for
official mail outs to multiple users on the system. I was going to try
a system, of putting a message in a shared box (using ACL's to control
who could write to that box), and then having a runner check the box
once an hr or something, check the specially crafted To: header, which
would do a DB lookup and then start runners hardlinking the file
(after moving to a processing tmp box) into all the (correct folder)
Maildir's of the recipients. The idea being to create a sort of
mailing list, for official mail outs to the different sections of the
organisation.
e.g. To: accounting-group at host, committe-group at host
With each group expanding in to possibly hundreds of users, based on a
lookup, and only 1 copy stored on the system.

I think for what I'm doing, I might still have to implement the runner
system or try and generalise the groups more, and use shared folders.
But still, if a user sends the same email to 50 people, having
dovecot-lda detect this, and only store one copy, would be a bonus!

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956