[Dovecot] Dovecot-auth relicensing to BSD/MIT

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 1 12:28:01 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 18:18 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I've been thinking about separating the dovecot-auth to be a separate
> package for a while too, although only around the time when Dovecot v2.0
> is released (certainly not before v1.0).
>
> So, I think changing the Dovecot-auth's license from LGPL to BSD or MIT
> wouldn't really hurt and it could get it more widely used.

Thanks to everyone who owned copyrights to Dovecot-auth for allowing
this change. Everyone have now allowed a switch to MIT license and all
but one allowed BSD, so MIT it is.

Everything in src/auth, src/lib-sql and lib-ntlm is now MIT licensed.

The code depends on src/lib however, and there are still a couple of
LGPL licensed parts in it:

 - hmac-md5.c : I guess this could just be changed to MIT since both
Andrey and Joshua agreed to the change elsewhere
 - ioloop-epoll.c : Andrey's code again.
 - ioloop-kqueue.c : Vaclav's code. His approval needed.
 - ioloop-notify-kqueue.c : Vaclav's code again.
 - primes.c : I've basically rewritten the code, only the prime number
list is copied from GLib. I don't think they can claim copyright for a
list of primes. :)
 - printf-upper-bound.c : This is a problem. It's clearly copyrighted by
GLib people and I don't think there's any way to get the license
changed. It's also very heavily used in Dovecot, so this would require a
rewrite. I don't really feel like doing it right now, so if you're
interested, patches are welcome :)