[Dovecot] Re: LIST namespace problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 14 19:10:12 EET 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 14:36 +0000, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> Talking of which, one of my patches is for what I think are minor bugs
> with LIST and namespaces:
>
> 1) LIST "<namespace>" "" should return the delimeter and root name
> (returns delimeter and ""), I think because namespace_find modifies the
> "ref" argument

This already works actually as long as the namespace isn't hidden. But
looks like the logic was a bit strange for hidden namespaces. Now the
hidden namespaces are ignored completely when looking for the root
namespace.

> 2) LIST "" "<namespace>" probably should return
> LIST (\Noselect) "<delim>" "<namespace>" (this keeps Pine and possibly
> other clients happy, otherwise they try to "create" the directory)

Fixed.

> . LIST "~/mail/" ""
> * LIST (\Noselect) "/" "~/"

I think UW-IMAP returns this because ~/ is a namespace. But it also has
this weird behavior:

x LIST foo/bar ""
* LIST (\Noselect) "/" "foo/"

Using the same logic ~/mail/ also gets truncated to ~/. And now that
Dovecot is ignoring the hidden namespaces, it fallbacks to looking ""
namespace with ~/mail/ parameter, and ~/ is returned.