[Dovecot] removing folders doesn't always work

William Astle astle at lexi.net
Fri Jan 13 19:11:40 EET 2006

I've been running dovecot for a while now. I've got 1.0alpha5 running on
a Slackware linux 10.2 system (i386). My system is using mbox format
which means you can't have folders that contain both folders and messages.

What I'm seeing is that removing folders doesn't always work. From what
I can tell, it only affects folders that contain folders. Dovecot
doesn't remove the directory from the server when the folder is removed
which means it just keeps coming back.

It's easy to duplicate this. Just create a folder that is allowed to
contain folders only. You will see a directory created on the server.
Then remove the folder. The directory will still be on the server, even
if it is empty (i.e. no dovecot index files in it).

Of course, most people create folders and never delete them, but
occasionally it's useful to do so.

For the record, removing folders that contain messages (mbox files) works.

--
William Astle
Lexicom Ltd.
Email: astle at lexi.net