[Dovecot] Mixed IMAP/POP3 environment and message status flags

Denis Sbragion d.sbragion at infotecna.it
Mon Feb 6 18:43:46 EET 2006

Hello All,

I'm trying to migrate from UW Imap to Dovecot (latest 1.0 beta 2). The
target is to go from the actual environment (Eudora + POP3) to a web based
IMAP environment (IMAP + SquirrelMail). While migrating we will need to
keep both environments for some time, with users having both the ability to
use Eudora through POP3 while in the office and also the ability to check
e-mail using the web based interface from time to time when they are out of
office. Everything seems to work pretty well except for one little quirk.
	Whenever new mail messages are checked on-line through IMAP they are
marked with "Status: O" or "Status: RO" in the main INBOX file (which is
kept in the old mbox format now, and is one of the many reasons for the
Dovecort choice). This is correct following the RFC standards but after
that the POP3 server seems to completely ignore any message marked as "O"
or "RO", making it impossible to download previously seen/read messages
through Eudora. I've checked any available Eudora and Dovecot setting,
including the pop3_no_flag_updates flag, but so far nothing worked.
	Looking at mailing list archives it looks like this behaviour is
intentional and has been introduced to work around some problems with
Eudora when the "Leave mail on server" option is enabled. Nevertheless it
seems there's still something wrong. UW Imap seems to get this right, it
lets Eudora download the already read message, which are correctly
downloaded already marked as read. I haven't been able to identify the
source of the problem, i.e. if it is either an Eudora problem which UW
circumvent in some way or a real Dovecot problem.
	I'd really like to move to Dovecot, which provides many feature which are
really useful for our situation, expecially maildir folders, which are fast
and much more "differential backup" friendly than single file mailboxes.
Unfortunately this IMAP/POP3 interaction problem would be a major
showstopper because it will prevent a smooth migration from the old
environment to the new one.
	Any hint about this issue? Anybody faced a similar problem so far? Thanks
in advance for any help, and my compliments for the excellent job performed
so far. Dovecot seems to be the right tool to fill the gap between the
simpler UW and the Cyrus monster. Keep on going! :)

Bye,
--
	Denis Sbragion
	InfoTecna