[Dovecot] dovecot with Calendar or Contacts?

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Thu Aug 31 12:04:44 EEST 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, ajmcello wrote:

> I have the SyncKolab plugin installed with Thunderbird. I can't get it to
> work properly. Maybe I have to have a Kolab Server? I can get my Address
> Book contacts to sync with an IMAP folder when I check Sync IMAP, but I
> can't get it to work the other way around. From their website, it seems
> possible:

Kolab is a set of services and a bunch of specially formed emails. I do
not believe that there is any magic behind the IMAP component, as far as I
understood one of the project leaders. All information is storred as a
mail with a particular attachment. The Kolab clients recognizes these
attachements with application/x-vnd.kolab.* MIME types.

However, there is http://kolab.org/documentation.html with the
documentation, there is the section:

"2.1. IMAP requirements
We will be using the ANNOTATEMORE proposal. If changes are made to this in
the standardization
process, we will incorporate these. Also, we must support IMAP namespaces.
All relevant RFCs will be
followed (i.e. folder name encoding is by RFC 3501).
The INBOX is the default inbox of the user. The user can not change this
default. The IMAP resource
folders (one for events, one for contacts etc. ) are subfolders of the
INBOX, and this location can not be
set by the user.
We will annotate all folders with an entry /vendor/kolab/folder-type
containing the attribute value.shared
set to: <type>[.<subtype>]
The  type

can be: mail, event, journal, task, note, or contact.
The  subtype

for a mail folder can be inbox, drafts, sentitems, or junkemail (this one
holds spam
mails). For the other  type

s, it can only be default, or not set.
For other types of folders supported by the clients, these should be
prefixed with "k-" for KMail, "h-" for
Horde and "o-" for Outlook, and look like for example "kolab.o-voicemail".
We will use "application/x-vnd.kolab. type

" as the mimetype for the emails used for storage.
The annotation must be set on creation, and can not be changed. For
folders created with other IMAP
clients, annotations must be preserved. If a folder has no annotation,
Outlook and the Toltec connector
will ignore it completely. This is not an option for Kontact and Horde, so
we will by default consider
them to hold mail."

However, I don't know if the Thunderbird connector has the same
requirements. These are for Kolab server/client.

Bye,

- --
Steffen Kaiser