[Dovecot] Maildir folder separator

Ian Thurlbeck ian at stams.strath.ac.uk
Tue Aug 22 15:48:33 EEST 2006

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 August 2006 05:56, Mikko Kortelainen wrote:
>
>>I wouldn't say that. If people want to sort their mail by making a
>>folder for each sender they have a lot of correspondence with, creating
>>a folder named 'mikko.kortelainen at techelp.fi' is a lot more intuitive
>>than 'mikko_kortelainen at techelp_fi'. For you or me it probably wouldn't
>>matter, but I'm talking about normal users here...
>

> I consider myself a normal user and I would have no difficulty using a '_' as
> opposed to a '.' in folder names. In fact, I never use a '.' in folder names.
> I reserve that for file name exclusively.
>
> Just my 2¢.

Often (I guess) people are transferring to dovecot from uw-imapd which
allows "." in mbox names.  Lots of staff here teach courses called
something like 53.101, 47.897 etc, so periods are very common in
mbox names.

To facilitate painless (for users anyway) transition to dovecot,
I set the maildir folder separator to ';' and it works just fine.

Another 2¢!

Ian
--
Ian Thurlbeck                http://www.stams.strath.ac.uk/
Statistics and Modelling Science, University of Strathclyde