[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0rc7 quits without notice

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Aug 21 23:40:31 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 20:56 +0200, Chris Laif wrote:
> Today I switched one of our servers from Courier (deployed 3-4y ago)
> to DCrc7. Everything seemed very nice (system load dropped
> significantly).
>
> Unfortunately after some time and ~8000 pop3-logins the main DC loop
> just quit without _any_ notice. Some pop3-login childs still showed up
> in the processlist, but the main listener on port 110 was gone.

Apparently it crashed. Getting a backtrace would help. Do you see a core
file in /var/run/dovecot? If not, make sure you have "ulimit -c
unlimited" before starting dovecot. Or I guess you could also run gdb
directly:

gdb dovecot
run -F
<wait for crash>
bt full

Although the pop3-login processes should have gone away if the dovecot
master process had died.