[Dovecot] LDAP usernames with spaces

Tim Schafer tim_schafer at shipfsp.com
Thu Aug 17 04:14:55 EEST 2006

I'm trying to setup dovecot to work with an existing virtual user
database in LDAP in order to replace courier-imap.

I have users in LDAP with dn of the following form
cn=Firstname Lastname,ou=company,dc=domain,dc=com

and the uid attribute containes a userid of the form
flastname

The on disk format for an account is:
/home/exim/<uid>/.maildir

My first problem is that I cannot get dovecot to authenticate the
existing DNs
It complains:
dovecot: auth(default): plain(?,ipaddress): Username contains disallowed
characters

I'm assuming it doesn't like the spaces.
Any way around this?

Also, I don't see any way to support the seperate username and userid
where the username is for authentication
and the userid is used for on disk pathname.
Anyway to support this?

Thanks in advance.

--

Regards,