[Dovecot] Seeing dovecot crash under rc6, seems to go almost exactly every 2.5 hours...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 11 04:11:12 EEST 2006

On 11.8.2006, at 2.58, Dean Blackburn wrote:

> We're getting the following crash report, but I'm not sure it
> contains anything immediately useful (especially since we're
> running on a minority platform in OS X)... Anyone see where we
> might be able to resolve this? The crash doesn't kill existing imap
> processes, but dovecot/imap-login needs to be restarted.

Do you have shutdown_clients=yes in dovecot.conf? If you do, the imap
processes should die if dovecot process dies.

> Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
> Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000020
>
> Thread 0 Crashed:
> 0   dovecot     0x0000482c log_set_prefix + 36 (log.c:190)
> 1   dovecot     0x000070b0 create_mail_process + 1576 (mail-
> process.c:535)

Is there anything in Dovecot's logs before this? Only way I can see
this happening is if it logs "pipe() failed" before crashing. If it
did, then maybe you should just increase the file descriptor limit.

I'll anyway fix this crash, assuming it's because of the pipe() problem.