[Dovecot] Dovecot under daemontools

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 10 22:56:02 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 12:56 -0500, Rick Romero wrote:
> > http://dovecot.org/tmp/newconf/
> >
> > The dovecot-example.conf should also contain some include-directives for
> > the other files.
>
> I think the auth part is probably the worst section.  It doesn't look so
> bad on a webpage, but in a terminal it's daunting.
>
> - Maybe if the options were tagged with 'REQUIRED' or something.

There aren't really any required options. :)

> - Or how about specifying 'select one passdb and one userdb' at the
> beginning of auth default { ?

Or maybe I could group the most commonly used passdb+userdb combinations
into separate auth-xxx.conf files and include them in the main
auth.conf. The includes would be commented out, so the files wouldn't
have to be. Then there'd be:

auth-pam.conf: passdb pam, userdb passwd (and userdb static?)
auth-passwd.conf: passdb passwd, userdb passwd
auth-shadow.conf: passdb shadow, userdb passwd
auth-bsdauth.conf: passdb bsdauth, userdb passwd
auth-passwd-file.conf: passdb passwd-file, userdb passwd-file
auth-sql.conf: passdb sql, userdb sql (and userdb prefetch?)
auth-ldap.conf: passdb ldap, userdb ldap (and userdb prefetch?)
auth-checkpassword.conf: passdb checkpassword, userdb prefetch
auth-vpopmail.conf: passdb vpopmail, userdb vpopmail

And the main auth block would also mention something about it being
possible to combine the passdbs and userdbs however wanted.

> I think just having passdb and userdb is initially confusing as well,
> but there's not much you can do about that, other that specifically
> saying what is required.

The above grouping would probably also help with that.

I'd almost want to implement this before v1.0, but probably too late. :)