[Dovecot] Dovecot fails to come up when using ACLs (1.0.b5)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 10 21:31:54 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 21:03 +1000, Jeff Turner wrote:
> [root at redback root]# /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
> Shutting down IMAP daemon (/usr/local/sbin/dovecot1.0rc5): [  OK  ]
> Starting IMAP daemon (/usr/local/sbin/dovecot1.0rc5): IEffective uid=65534, gid=65534
> INamespace: type=private, prefix=, sep=/, inbox=yes, hidden=no, subscriptions=no
> Imaildir: data=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability
> Imaildir: root=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability, index=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability, control=, inbox=
> INamespace: type=public, prefix=JiraSupport/, sep=/, inbox=no, hidden=no, subscriptions=no
> Imaildir: data=/imap/mailboxes/jira-support:CONTROL=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability/shared-settings/jira-support/control:INDEX=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability/shared-settings/jira-support/index
> Imaildir: root=/imap/mailboxes/jira-support, index=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability/shared-settings/jira-support/index, control=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability/shared-settings/jira-support/control, inbox=
> Elstat(/imap/mailboxes/jira-support/cur) failed: Permission denied
>                                                            [FAILED]

Well, this is a bit strange. When setting mail_plugins Dovecot executes
imap binary as a dump-capability user so that it can check if the
plugins added some IMAP capabilities. However it shouldn't get this far,
it should have already printed the capability and exited. So it looks as
if something removes DUMP_CAPABILITY environment variable.

> Dovecot still fails to come up. When I strace
> the process on startup, this is what it looks like:

The strace is from the dovecot master process only. "strace -f dovecot"
would show also what the child processes are doing.

You could also change mail_executable to be a script which does:

#!/bin/sh

set > /tmp/dovecot.sets
exec /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

And then check if dovecot.sets contains DUMP_CAPABILITY=1 line.

> I've attached my dovecot.conf, stripped of comments.

I tested with this, but it worked fine with me. So the problem has
something to do with your system instead of configuration.

Hmm. Actually I can think of one more reason. Probably the most likely
reason .. Your dovecot master binary is from 1.0rc5, but the imap binary
is from some older Dovecot version which didn't yet understand the
DUMP_CAPABILITY..