[Dovecot] Dovecot under daemontools

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Thu Aug 10 18:05:43 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 17:40 +0300, Odhiambo WASHINGTON wrote:
> * On 10/08/06 16:22 +0200, dale gallagher wrote:
> | Hi there
>
> Hi Dale!
>
> | I'm having difficulties in getting dovecot to run under daemontools.
>
> http://www.thedjbway.org/imap/dovecot.html
>

> | Also, from a sysadmin perspective, so far, I find dovecot's config
> | rather complex
> | - I suppose that's what happens when one attempts to appease all
> | authentication methods... anyway, I digress.
>
> There are two plausible solutions to this complexity problem:
>
> 1. Use a Windows Server with some click next-> next
> 2. Quit being Sysadmin
>
> ;)

I'm sure you're just kidding, but I kinda have to agree here.  There are
some improvements that could be made in the system.

1. The whole *BSD poll/kqueue issue.  From what configure says, kqueue
shouldn't ever show up.

2. POP?  It gets compiled in automatically, yet doesn't start.  Doesn't
bother me, as I'm just using IMAP, but it doesn't seem logical.  If POP
doesn't start by default, I wouldn't think it would be compiled in by
default.

3. Config file.  It flows well, but it's freaking huge.
3a Quotas.  Where are you told that to enable imap quotas, you need to
say:  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
Maybe I missed it, but I modified horde to manually get the quotas
because I couldn't find or figure out how enable it in dovecot.

4. Config file gets overwritten on make install.  Good thing I grew up
with Leisure Suit Larry ;)

> Sorry, one more .... courier-imap is easier to configure, no?

Yes on FreeBSD, you have IMAP/POP and SSL config files.

My suggestion would be to limit the compiled in defaults, or default to
nothing and require the user to select what they need and dynamically
add those sections to the example config file for each compiled in
module.   IMAP/POP, auth, and whatever else.   And maybe be a little
more descriptive on quotas (though I understand this is a new feature -
at least for Maildir).

Rick