[Dovecot] Dynamic server address

Kresimir Tonkovic kresimir.tonkovic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 11:15:38 EEST 2006

On 8/8/06, Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:

> Kresimir Tonkovic wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, by default POP3 and POP3+SSL both work at the
> > same port, 110. I want to let local users connect by plain POP3 and
> > external users to use POP3+SSL. I don't see how I can set this up
> > using iptables and tcpwrappers. Can you please provide more details?
> Ah, so you don't want to use pop3s but pop3+starttls. Just tell dovecot
> to deny any password when used over insecure connections. local
> connections are considered secure.
>
> johannes

I'm sorry, I'm new to dovecot, it seems my terminology is all wrong :-)

I assumed pop3s is pop3+ssl is pop3 over ssl.

In my config file (just an excerpt):

protocols pop3_listen pop3s_listen
elag.hr is my domain name. It resolves to the current external IP address.

So when I connect from outside, my email client asks me to verify a ssl
certificate. This enforced me to believe pop3s is pop3 over ssl, or as I
called it above pop3+ssl.

If I'm wrong, what is pop3+starttls?
--
kresho