[Dovecot] Dovecot Sieve without LDA?

Marcus Rueckert rueckert at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Sun Aug 6 21:47:45 EEST 2006

On 2006-08-06 21:14:06 +0300, Mart Pirita wrote:
> >No, not at this time.
> But maybe in future?
> > Dovecot only handles delivery to the base Maildir or
> >mbox.  Anything more complicated requires the use of an actual LDA.
>
> Hmm, but if Dovecot handles the Maildir in my case, then why can't
> Dovecot do mail filtering on the fly, for example, first all mail will
> delivered to the main Inbox, but as the client connects, Dovecot reads
> the rules and places them to separate mailbox etc according to the
> previously configured rules.  In this case, it is not delivery, it's
> more like moving.

and than an user returns after 2 weeks vacation and dovecot starts
sorting 10000 mails?

sounds stupid no?:)

> > Is there
> >some reason you don't want to use the Dovecot LDA?
> >

> Actually no, but I'd just like that separate software does separate
> things, Sendmail or Postfix as MTA and Dovecot as imap/pop server.

you keep the things seperated. you just no longer use the postfix
local/virtual for delivery but dovecot's lda (/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver)

all the rest of the smpt handling, spam checking is still done before
your mail is passed to dovecot's lda. another nice side effect of using
"deliver" is the auto updates for the indeces. that speeds up mail
checking.

i have that here running all fine with:
- postfix 2.3
- dovecot + dovecot-sasl
- dovecot-lda + sieve plugin
- mysql for virtual users
- postfixadmin to configure virtual users.

darix

--
           openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
               openSUSE is good for you