[Dovecot] Deleted email does not appear in the Trash folder

Peter Fern dovecot at obfusc8.org
Fri Aug 4 03:12:54 EEST 2006

cl at isbd.net wrote:
> There are a number of issues with maildir that eventually make me
> leave it:-
>
>     It's not so easy to manually traverse a maildir hierarchy and/or
>     manually search for text in messages.  OK, I know there are tools
>     to do it but I often end up writing custom scripts to do things
>     and mbox is just much easier to deal with.  (for a start, if using
>     grep, I get a sensible name with mbox, junk with maildir)

Define 'junk'?  And I find that being able to act on each individual
message as a separate file rather than searching a flat file for keys
tremendously more flexible, and faster too for that matter.
>     In mutt at least I get much more meaningful information about
>     maibox size when using mbox than when using maildir.

Not using mutt, so can't comment... define 'meaningful'?
>     Different MUAs seem to have more trouble working 'cooperatively'
>     when using maildir.

It appears to be the opposite to me - no need to lock the whole box to
work with one message... examples?
>     This is sort of mixed up with IMAP, but still ....
>     The inconsistent use of '/' and '.' directory (well, pseudo
>     directory) delimiters between different implementations. Who ever
>     thought of using '.' and creating all mailboxes at the same level
>     with longer and longer names should be shot!  It makes all sorts
>     of things that expect real directories totally broken.

You're welcome to change this using namespaces or whatever.  I'm curious
as to what mail tools expect 'real directories'?