[Dovecot] setuid(5000) failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 24 15:58:13 EEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 23:42 -0500, Jon Baker wrote:
> I have combed google for days searching for an answer to this but
> cannot find anything anywhere, I'm hoping that posting to this list
> will get me the solution.
>
> I have FC4 running dovecot v1.0.beta7 to serve my POP3 (I had to
> install v1.0.beta7 because it's on a x86_64 and I need mysql
> support).  It runs great for about two hours, after which I start
> getting the resource temporarily unavailable error.  I can't get the
> error to go away by restarting dovecot, the only way I can figure out
> to do it is to restart the box.  This is terribly annoying... please
> help!  Thanks!

From setuid() man page:

       EAGAIN The uid does not match the current uid and  uid  brings  process
              over it's NPROC rlimit.

Apparently somewhere is configured the maximum number of processes
allowed.. Dovecot doesn't do that though, so I've really no idea how to
solve it. Maybe check with "ulimit -a" before starting Dovecot that
there are no process count limits.

Although since the error doesn't go away by restarting Dovecot, it
sounds like something's badly broken in there. Have you checked how many
processes in general the system is running when this is happening?