[Dovecot] INBOX as mbox, other mailboxes as maildir

Ron Wilhoite ronw at bals.org
Fri Apr 21 16:47:10 EEST 2006

Paul de Weerd wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm trying to teach dovecot to use the mbox format for /var/mail/%u
> and maildir for /home/%u/Mail/ but I'm having quite a hard time. This
> is Dovecot v1.0.beta3 under OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64.
>
> I've been fiddling with default_mail_env and also tried separate
> namespaces, but all to no avail. Here's some of the things I tried :
>
> default_mail_env = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir:INBOX=mbox:/var/mail/%u
> default_mail_env = INBOX=mbox:/var/mail/%u:MAIL=maildir:/home/%u/Maildir/
> namespace private {
>         separator = /
>         prefix =
>         inbox = yes
>         location = mbox:/var/mail/%u
> }
> namespace private {
>         separator = /
>         prefix = "Folders/"
>         location = maildir:/home/%u/Mail
> }

I have this working with the following, from the wiki, on FreeBSD 6 and
beta3 from ports.

default_mail_env = mbox:/var/mail/%u

# from http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces
# INBOX in /var/mail/username, maildir in ~/Maildir, other
# mboxes in ~/mail under #ignore/ namespace

namespace private {
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
   prefix = "#ignore/"
   location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   location = maildir:~/Maildir
}

Squirrelmail displays the #ignore folders. Thunderbird hides them nicely.

Ron Wilhoite