[Dovecot] Maildir and counting inodes

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Fri Sep 30 01:57:17 EEST 2005

Andy Cravens wrote:

> I could write a script to look at each user's mbox files, count the
> number messages and calculate the average number of emails per user,
> then add a fudge factor for expected growth.  However, I doubt anybody
> actually goes to this much trouble to plan ahead.  Or do they?

The other approach is to work out the average size of emails and your
spool disk size and adjust inode count (and block/frag size) to that
(assuming you can adjust block size on your filesystem)!  This turns the
"have I got enough inodes?" problem back into the already-familiar "do i
have enough disk space?" problem.

My gut feel says go with 4k/1k blocks and 1 inode/8k sounds about right.