[Dovecot] New mailbox API (was: New mailbox format)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Sep 24 12:28:09 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 15:37 -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > The API already exists, that's how mbox and maildir code is implemented
> > separately (src/lib-storage/mail-storage.h). It could be simpler though and
> > mailbox listing should be separated from mailbox accessing.
> > That's also how I was planning on implementing ACLs, as a plugin that's
> > called before the real storage. That's also how quota plugin already works.
>
> I was suggesting implementing it in a global system-wide generic way, the
> way PAM is done. So it would become a project in and of itself,
> independent of dovecot.

Well .. I'm pretty sceptic that it would become commonly used. Everyone
seems to want to handle mailboxes in different ways.

> PAM is independent of anything else, but is used
> by dovecot, apache, radius, samba and a zillion other applications. It
> would be nice if a generic mailbox plugin system could be created in the same way.
>
> PMM - pluggable mail modules?  /etc/pmm.d/ and /lib/mail/ anyone? :)

PAM is really simple though. PMM would most likely require somewhat
large API and also a separate library using that API to actually do
things.

I wouldn't mind seeing suggestions of such an API, but I don't really
want to waste time on it myself :)