[Dovecot] New mailbox format

Dan Hollis test3943395 at anime.net
Sat Sep 24 01:31:14 EEST 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, dean gaudet wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Dan Hollis wrote:
>> inodes only use kernel memory when the file is accessed. in this respect there
>> is no difference in the memory usage between reiserfs or ext3 or any other
>> filesystem. think about the case of network filesystems for example.
> i think we're agreeing aren't we?
> the only reason i care about kernel memory usage is that once you start
> scaling to 1000s of simultaneous users kernel memory starts becoming
> scarce... with maildir it happens a lot faster than with mailbox.

Not really. I dont think the kernel memory used by open inodes is anywhere
close to a concern compared to the other kernel resources that processes
use. So I would suggest that it doesnt happen a lot faster with maildir
than it does with mailbox. With 1000s of simultaneous users, the kernel
resources used by open inodes would be the least of your worries and would
be lost in the background noise anyway.

-Dan