[Dovecot] New mailbox API (was: New mailbox format)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Sep 24 01:30:30 EEST 2005

On 24.9.2005, at 01:18, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Friday, September 23, 2005 2:29 PM -0700 Dan Hollis
> <test3943395 at anime.net> wrote:
>
>> Actually an idea i've had in mind for a while is something more akin
>> PAM, eg an end user definable plugin system for mailbox handling.
>> dovecot
>> etc would just use API calls to plugins. People can write whatever
>> backend they want -- maildir, sql, even gdbm, csv, xml or WEBDAV if
>> they
>> feel like it. And anything could use the modules -- sendmail, postfix,
>> procmail, etc.
>
> Agreed. Defining an API would be more useful than defining a format.
> Then one could plug in delivery and access modules with different
> storage modules.

The API already exists, that's how mbox and maildir code is implemented
separately (src/lib-storage/mail-storage.h). It could be simpler though
and mailbox listing should be separated from mailbox accessing.

That's also how I was planning on implementing ACLs, as a plugin that's
called before the real storage. That's also how quota plugin already
works.