[Dovecot] NO: Unsupported authentication mechanism

Steve [Dovecot] Steve_dovecot at shic.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 17:01:15 EEST 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 17:53 +0100, Steve [Dovecot] wrote:
>

>>        "Net::IMAP::NoResponseError: Unsupported authentication
>> mechanism"
>> If I change 'LOGIN' to 'CRAM-MD5' (the other value supported by
>> Net::IMAP) then I get a similar (but not identical) error:
>>        "Net::IMAP::NoResponseError: Authentication failed:
>> Unsupported authentication mechanism"
>> If I use anything other than either 'LOGIN' or 'CRAM-MD5' I get an
>> error from the Net::IMAP library saying "Unknown auth type" - which
>> is reasonable.
>>

> PLAIN is the standard plaintext mechanism. If you want to use others,
> you'll have to add them to auth_mechanisms setting. Dovecot also accepts
> LOGIN if you just add it there.

Ah, ha... I'd assumed that 'LOGIN' as the authentication method for
Ruby's Net::IMAP was synonymous with 'PLAIN' authentication.  I'm using
dovecot 0.99.14-r1 under Gentoo and I note that auth.txt makes no
mention of a 'LOGIN' authentication mechanism.
If I abandon the authenticate() method in Ruby and use the login()
method instead I get much further... though I have to admit that I am
confused as to why there's a need for both - as well as why the default
authenticate() seems to be incompatible with my default dovecot
configuration... frustrating.

Steve