[Dovecot] Dovecot feature request: move /var/mail/uid to INBOX

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Mon Sep 12 13:02:27 EEST 2005

Hello,

UW-Imap has a (questional, but for me useful) feature to slurp all mails
pending in /var/mail/uid into the user's INBOX whenever the user
successfully logs on and the INBOX is not configured as /var/mail/uid.

The usefulness for me is that users have a relatively small quota, so the
noisy "over quota" messages pop up for everyone now and then, regardless
how frequent one reads the mail.
When I now set a large quota for the "pending INBOX", where the user (aka
dovecot) can only delete mails from, I circumvent those messages, prevent
that users use the (large) INBOX as yet another place to pile up data (the
user does not know about the pending INBOX at all) and let the users have
"full" control over their folders.

The disadvantage is that it works for "real" users only.
Another disadvantage is that one would expect "LDA"-features in the server
portion of Dovecot, e.g. Sieve :-), or the server would need to spawn the
Dovecot-LDA somehow.

(Next thing is that, currently, the mails are delivered into the home
directory of the users, what leads to several annoyances when someone is
away for some time and finds his home directory locked, because the mass
of mails locked the directory. Mostover, those IMAP servers I ran so far
didn't allowed the user to delete a mail via IMAP often, because some temp
or arbitary file couldn't created in the IMAP root. Because the user is
already logged on onto Dovecot, there should be less problems deleting
mails when the quota exceeds while slurping them in. At least I had
extremly good experiences with this mechanism, when I used UW-Imap and the
INBOX was located as mbx in the user's homedirectory.)

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser