[Dovecot] qpopper UIDLs and migrating to dovecot/maildir

Paul Vatta paul.vatta at deakin.edu.au
Mon Sep 5 03:04:12 EEST 2005

Hi Chris,

We migrated to Dovecot from Qpopper/UW-IMAP in July.  We previously
looked at altering the Dovecot code, client-side duplicate email cleanup
utilities (for Eudora), and enforcing "download-then-delete from the
server" prior to the migration.

We got around the "downloading of previously downloaded emails" problem
by moving all previously downloaded emails to a new folder called
"ConvertedMail" during the conversion process from mbox (Qpopper) to
maildir.
This assumes you're going to maildir though.  The benefit in this is
that the POP client only retrieves email from th inbox folder, and after
conversion, this will mean only new emails.  If the POP client's
previous download of older email dissappeared
(for whatever reason), a Web Mail client accessing the mailstore via
IMAP would allow access to the ConvertedMail folder.

Regards,
Paul