[Dovecot] Dovecot reports zero messages erroneously

Chris Spiegel dovecot at happyjack.org
Mon Oct 24 19:36:40 EEST 2005

On October 11, Mark Farmer reported a problem about not being able to see new
mails.  I'm running into the same issue.  Even though cur/ and new/ contain
messages, Dovecot reports that there aren't any.

This problem seemed to start happening in alpha3 (and persists in alpha4).
When I revert back to alpha2, the messages show up again.

It looks like a problem with the dovecot.index* files.  When I delete them,
alpha4 can serve up the mails just fine, and will in fact keep working for a
little while.  Eventually (within a few hours, although I'm not sure what
causes it), dovecot thinks things are empty again.

Like Mark, I'm using Postfix..  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with
the problem but I thought it'd be worth pointing out.

If there are any specific things you'd like me to do to try to pin down this
problem, let me know.

Chris