[Dovecot] Pop-before-smtp and MySQL?

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Mon Nov 28 14:13:53 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 06:06 -0600, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Monday 2005-November-28 05:40, Matteo Garofano wrote:
> > The problem I find is to set up the pop-before-smtp using sql (mysq)
> snip
> > Have you any hint?
>
> I can't help with your pop-before-SMTP, but I can suggest that you not
> do that. :) The better way to do it is with SMTP AUTH, which most MUA's
> should support these days.
>
> If your MTA is Postfix (which appears so from your headers) Timo has a
> patch which ties in SASL AUTH support without using Cyrus SASL. I use
> it and recommend it highly. See the Postfix SASL_README and the patch
> at http://dovecot.org/patches/postfix/ (for Postfix 2.2.x) or my own
> ports of it to the 2.3 snapshots:
> http://www.nodns4.us/postfix-2.3-20051121-dovecot-auth.patch.gz
>
> http://www.nodns4.us/postfix-2.3-20050630-dovecot-auth.patch.gz still
> exists for those who got on the bleeding edge but were too lazy to stay
> there. :)

I'm not the original poster of the question, yet I have a question about
this patch.

What would be the benefits of using this patch? I mean, dovecot is
supposed to have its own SASL implementation (as stated in the docs) and
we are even using it. So why would one need a specific patch for postfix
when dovecot is completely on its own feet?

Udo

--
bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH
http://www.bestsolution.at